Saturday, June 8, 2013

1930 Dresch/BMW


After many hours of designing, fabricating, thinking, scaling out on paper......This 30's Dresch replica has now gone from paper to reality. Hand built frame, girder front suspension, gas tank, cover for digital gauge cluster and many other handmade parts. The donor bike was a '07 BMW 650 with all its fuel injection! The front/rear fenders are the only part I bought, because the early model Harley fenders look close to the original Dresch fenders. I'd like to thank (Troy, Tommy, Del, Chris, Ray, Brad, Robbie, Nate and whoever else that might have helped in the project!) Will ride it in bare metal for a bit to make sure all is good, then tear it down for paint! More to come...... Tim Bradham

The build up....
^ This was pretty much the start of the Dresch frame....
^ A lot of cut, weld, and sand out..
^ Getting the frame to this point took some time.. A few weeks went by while I was thinking about how the frame was going to be built! But once I started, it came together nicely.
^ The start of the girder front end. Which I bandsaw cut and hole sawed.
^ Progress...
^ Bolted together, then I clamped it down on the table to weld!
^ Next came the links to connect the girder to the trees.
^ The aluminum links were on the bike, but steel ones have replaced them!
^ After looking at the bike, I decided to go with some aftermarket Harley fenders that matched the original design.
^ Fuel tank that I made out of .090 aluminum 
^ Making the panel to cover where the original gas tank was, now is covering the battery, oil bag, and electrical. My beat bag, english wheel, and use of the shrinker was used while making this cover!
^ The rear fender needed to be welded from the flip up design. Metal finishing is always a time consuming process, but it's always great to see the final product. Less bondo, or even no bondo is the goal!
^ First time the Dresch saw the ground!
^ Hand making the air cleaner was really fun...I always enjoy metal fabrication, building stuff from nothing basically!
^ The final air cleaner!
^ Using the BMW handle bars worked out well. I originally made some, but Ray felt the need to be able to replace them easier if something ever happened...
^ At this point we're getting close!
^ After about 3 years of off and on building, I rode it outta the shop and around the side of the shop... It felt good!!
^ That same afternoon, Chris came by and took the Dresch for its maiden voyage! Nothing but smiles when he came back....
^ This was the picture of the bike that I based all my designs off of. I scaled the bike off paper and went to work!
^ This is the final result, I feel like I nailed it! The bike is now completely taken apart as you read this, and getting ready for paint and powder coat! It'll soon be in Florida with Ray riding the sunny streets very soon!
 Thanks for looking, Tim

Here's an email that Chris Dresch sent me....

I'd like to thank Tim for all the hard work and effort he put in. It’s not often that someone is willing to accept the challenge of taking on a project that requires all elements of imaginative thinking, mechanical problem solving, and technical knowledge to re-create a bike that was never sold in the United States purely from pictures. It is a daunting task to say the lease. It’s a shame that we have to paint and powder coat the bike as I always admire great TIG welding craftsmanship. Beautiful welds are 10% science and 90% artwork, too bad there isn’t a way to just clear coat the bike as is and call it done! -Chris Dresch

































No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.